Monday, November 5, 2007

commenting on THE WELL

http://jessicaswell.comWell it must be my lucky day. Last night I commented on a local Blog site-- Jessica's Well-- on a thread about civil service. I commented from my own experience , not from a legal stand point.

I know the power of civil service, both the good and bad, and think it is mainly a good thing for our local public servants.

My comment was this
I will warn you of one thing---It only takes a majority vote to enact civil service. But it takes a majority of all registered voters voting to repeal to get rid of it.
After some research, it looks like the powers that be at the WELL , say I am wrong. Okay , maybe I am. With a lot of emphasis on the maybe!!!

Do me a favor ---Google "Texas Civil Service Law". This act is long and painstakingly drawn out and up to be exact in almost every instance. Why leave this one section that has a loophole?????
Because once it is voted in ------ then it is too late?????

The very first section entails enacting and repealing Civil Service.
It describes what must be done with a petition to enact
It describes what must be done with a petition to repeal

THEN IT PLAINLY STATES THAT A MAJORITY OF QUALIFIED VOTERS MAY REPEAL THIS ACT. NOT A PERCENTAGE OF QUALIFIED VOTERS A MAJORITY OF QUALIFIED VOTERS IN THE MUNICIPALITY!!!!! MY DICTIONARY DESCRIBES A MAJORITY AS AT LEAST 51%.

as always thanks for your time
scotte

No comments: