Monday, May 5, 2008

OLD MUSIC & MEMORIES

A recent post of Janie's got me to thinking about old things , mainly about music. and cars..............and girls. No not really about the girls, but seems each song was heard with a different girl. Or so it seems in my mind!!!!!

Sis's post is about the Guess Who. I remember almost every song they ever played. Because of my 2 older siblings , I was exposed to more than most of my friends.
Janie & I both participated in choir during Secondary schooling, and were lucky to have some young choir directors......young enough to divorce and remarry each other as I remember. But we sang some pretty contemporary songs back then.
Groups that I introduced to my friends were:
Ray Charles (this was in 4 track format)
Gene Pitney
Frankie Lane (claim to fame "Rawhide")
Credence Clear water Revival
The Grateful Dead
David Gates
The Who
and this is off the top of my head---I could consult the old albums (yes albums) that my brother Tony left for us to listen to. My friends parents thought I was weird and they were probably right. I was just as likely to be singing Mares-eat-oats as I was to be singing the latest Beatles hit.
Or Harry Snilson's "Son of Snilson" 8 track blasting from my 72 Chevy as well as Jerry Jeff Walkers UP AGAINST THE WALL REDNECK MOTHERS. or Rusty Weirs curse of the redhead!
Some of my friends parents would borrow my 8 tracks for trips and I think old Morris Fraley still may have all of my Grateful Dead tapes. I need to check on that. I watch my boys download music and play it on their IPODS. And then I hear Artists Associations gripe about the theft of music.
Do they not remember double cassette recorders. I bet I recorded 10,000 songs over the years. KLIF in Dallas had a Tuesday nite and Friday nite album play at midnight. The DJ would even count down the first side so you could synchronize with the start of recording. And they played kickasss artists, so you could forgo the Tape Town crowd and dollars. This was of course way before ASCAP and other associations that have formed over the years.
I really don't think I ever bought a Steve Miller Band album or Doobie Brothers either. But you could hear them out of my speakers everyday.
The bad news is that most of my favorite music is now owned by MUZAC, and can be heard on elevators everywhere!!!
Alas the plight of the baby boomers!!!!!
thanks for your time
ScottE

No comments: