Thursday, August 16, 2007

AHHHH Back Where I Belong!!!!!

FINALLY----Okay lesson learned. If you don't want the job then do not make it look easy. Due to the fact that I am computer literate ( at least I am where I work), it was fairly easy for me to learn a software program. This was impressive to at least one person, because he decided I would excel in his department.

I had no idea that by learning RODSTAR and SROD software predictive rod design , that I would be stuck in an office all day. Waiting ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................There it is --- a request for a rod string design.

Now after 8 1\2 months--I am finally in the sales department at Fiberod. Not that the months were not worthwhile, because I learned things that I would never have learned elsewhere. My supervisor has a wealth of oil field knowledge, and it takes about 30 seconds to realize that he has been there --done that!!

But like my sister before me---I was born to sell!!! I am a licensed auctioneer in Texas and have 2 or 3 auctions a month. This is a occupation that I love , but is so labor intensive that it has aged me , quickly.

So in December , after many confabs, I relented to a friend of mine and went back to work in the patch. "We have got a place for you, Scott" He said. I never figured it would be in an office. I thought that he would hand me a few brochures , give me some business cards and send me to my 4 wheel office . Not my boss, This company does not rush into anything , much less sending a rep out without the proper knowledge. So 8 months later Here I am.

Now I am not putting down anyone who works in an office, heck I still have one, but my personality and boredom do not mix. (I wish I would have figured that out earlier in life) I tend to get into trouble when I am bored. (or start a new business)

Yes , I have been in business for myself since leaving the oilfield in 1986 and joining the Big Spring Fire Dept. I have mowed yards, roofed houses, sold RO units, set pool tables, vended gum, vended dreams(8 liners), sold used furniture, new furniture, sold real estate, sold cars, opened a discount tobacco store, and bought a friends auction from his family after his untimely death. But I am still married to the same woman.

So as of Monday, August 13th, I am a salesman for Fiberod. We make the finest sucker rod on the market today. (blatant plug). I have about a week to acclimate myself to the new world of the oilfield. So where do I go??

JANIE- my sister
You didn't think I was stupid did you?
She gave me enough info to keep me busy for a month, but
I don't have a month. So like Janie --(Good Example)- I have been getting up with the chickens. Calling on leads.

I have learned that with the mention of her name- smiles follow.

I always knew she was amazing, but I did not realize how many other of you knew it, too. Please don't hold me to her standard, because at my age I am out of shape.

But give me time--sister---and I will hunt with the big dogs too. I am not talking about Zack the Wonder Dog!!!

Janie , thanks again, I know you will read this, and even if you are the only one who does, it feels good to praise you.

You are an awesome person and I don't throw that word around. (usually reserved for miracles, Jesus, and MacZ)
Maam, I am glad you are my sister. I , too , cherish the time we get to spend together. Hope we get to do it a lot more in the future.

So look out Permian Basin--Heck look out Gulf States region---Now there are two.

thanks for your time
Scott E

2 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Dude, don't worry...you'll pass me up in a week or two! I'm excited for you! love ya

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I've only met her through her blog but I'm impressed too. Don't you just love living life from a motel room???